Job Title: Sr. Quality Control Specialist
Description: Temporary to Hire
Department: Quality Control
Reports To: Senior Director of Operations
Location: San Diego, CA
Job Description No.: 622-2-27
Biomatrica’s mission is to contribute to the development of better diagnostics and therapies, with improved access for patients globally. Based in San Diego, Biomatrica is privately held. The company is founded on a compound library and intellectual property which it deploys to collect, protect and store biomaterials subject to degradation, including nucleic acids, proteins, and cells. The applications are broad and include diagnostics, biobanking, research, and industrial. The company recently introduced an innovative line of CE- IVD marked sample collection products for: (1) cell-free DNA and tumor cells in blood for pre-natal testing and liquid biopsy, (2) DNA in saliva for medical and personal genomics, (3) RNA and DNA for gene expression testing.
Biomatrica is a dynamic, fast-paced, cross-functional environment seeking a highly motivated self-starting team player to work in its Quality Control Department. Time-management, communication, and organizational skills are key to this role, as a transition to leadership is the next step. The candidate should expect to interact with multiple departments on a daily basis, have a set schedule and willingness to work extended hours when needed. The candidate’s responsibilities will include the execution of all Quality Control activities for Biomatrica’s portfolio of internally manufactured products and reagents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Execution of biophysical techniques (such as HPLC, UV-VIS spectrophotometry) for QC of key materials
- Execution of biochemical techniques for QC of products through monitoring of nucleic acids (yield, purity, size, etc.)
- Execution of molecular biology techniques (such as sample extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis, immunochemistry)
- Writing and optimizing SOPs
- Data analysis and presentation
- Manufacturing verification of work performed
- Professional, ethical, and moral conduct at all times
- Adherence to regulatory guidelines
- Additional duties based on dynamic business priorities
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience, preferably in the biotechnology or medical device industry and/or GxP environment
- MS or BS in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or equivalent.
- QC experience highly preferable (required for BS)
- Experience with nucleic acid techniques (gel electrophoresis, PCR, UV-VIS)
- Experience with standard molecular biology and biochemical techniques
- Proficiency in writing and revising detailed technical documentation
- Knowledge of requirements associated with GLP/GMP/ISO 13485 regulations a plus
- Willingness to work with biological specimens (blood, saliva, urine, etc.)
- Competent in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong ownership of technical success
- Ability to work independently to execute experiments
- Ability to manage multiple activities and associated timelines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, goal-oriented team environment
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have excellent attention to details
- High level of energy, enthusiasm and initiative
- Familiarity with HPLC a plus
If you are looking for a position with growth potential in an exciting industry, please forward your resume with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and note “Sr. Quality Control Specialist” in the subject line of your e- mail. Please send attachments in MS Word or PDF format only with “your name-resume” and “your name- cover letter” as the document name. Relocation reimbursement is not available for this position.
Please note: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.